Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Goals without an Outcome

A few weeks ago I participated in a teleconference, one of the things that was focused on was working towards your goal but not being attached to an outcome. I've heard this saying numerous times before. My response has always been yeah right. For me they were one in the same. If they weren't how would you ever know when you have reached your goal?
Goal: Lose weight
Outcome: Weight loss, smaller clothes size

Goal accomplished outcome received, see one in the same.

Last week I was talking to a Yoga Master who said almost the exact same thing "focus on the goal and don't be attached to the outcome"!  The same message, apparently there was a lesson of some sort I was supposed to pay attention too. Since it was only the two of us I explained my inability to separate the two concepts. She said it is because I am always attached to an outcome and by doing so I'm actually having a disconnect with what I want and the energy I am giving off. I'd been unknowingly self sabotaging!
Goal: Lose weight
Outcome: Weight loss
Energy output while working towards goal: frustration at not losing weight, repeating I'm not losing weight, I'm fluffy, my clothes don't fit, etc.
Result: no weight loss, goal not currently achieved

The harder I worked towards my goal with no results the more negativity I was putting out! But being the eternal optimist I was still working towards my goal. We talked about the "bigger goals" I'm working towards. My bigger goal in releasing weight (subconsciously if you lose something you want to find it, if you release it, you are letting it go, freeing yourself from it) is to be healthier.
My new outlook on goals & outcomes is shifting and I've now added in benefits, positive kudos to keep me focused on my goals & not the outcomes
Goal: Be healthier
Outcome: I'm healthier
Benefits on my journey towards my goal: I'm stronger than ever, weight is falling off, learning new things, eating healthier

Instead of focusing on the fact I'm not releasing the weight as quickly as I had anticipated. I'm celebrating what I have accomplished. I'm finding my abdominal muscles, I can hold the plank position for almost two minutes since my core is much stronger, I have more endurance when working out, this is leading to longer workouts, which is making my body crave healthier food options because the last thing I want after working out is a candy bar (cake maybe we all have our weaknesses)!  

Now that I know how I should be approaching selecting my goals I'm doing it correctly (it's working this way for me right now when it stops working I'm sure I'll get another lesson). I'm striving towards my goals and not being attached to an outcome. This is still hard for I've had years of doing it another way with another mindset.  This new mindset is making me happier and my goals much more attainable, at least on paper it's only been a week!  I hope this works for you with your goals on your journey too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Connect with us by sharing your ideas!