Pages

Friday, October 3, 2014

Connect


What is it to connect?  It’s so easy today to avoid connecting with the people and the world around us.  We get caught up in our own minutia not realizing there is whole world interacting around us.  Connections are different for everyone.  What feels like an easy way to connect for me might seem incredibly terrifying for someone else.  I’m more of an extravert so striking up a conversation with a random person on the street, which I did last night, is just one of the numerous ways I connect with the world around me.  I make a point to go outside, take my shoes off and feel the ground underneath (I prefer sand and water but often settle for the grass in front of my apartment).  Each of these connections allows me embrace my surroundings and inspire me in different way.  I find regardless of the type of connection I’m making the most important thing is to be present in the moment.  Not thinking about what I have to do or imposing a particular outcome on the experience…just being there with all of my intention.


My car is in the shop, knowing I was going to be car-less for a day or two, I loaded my beach cruiser into my car prior to going to the repair shop.  Once done there I embraced my two mile journey home.  I confirmed that while biking I still do not like busy intersections (mental note: be more cognizant of the three foot bike law) and avoided those as much as possible, making me take a different path home.  Not going so fast I had the time to discover new treasures in my “neighborhood”.  There is a paper store with my friends name and a very unique iron works shop.  I believe there’s a hidden food establishment nearby (an adventure for another day) for the air changed from crisp, brisk, fall air to pizza filled.  I had to ride under the freeway, which sounded strangely like a train.  One intersection away from my destination, the sounds of the environment changed from industrial to laugher from the corner restaurant.  It wasn’t until that moment I realized my route had been people free.  Running errands later in the day on my bike was another adventure I again had time to take embrace my surroundings.  I complimented an elderly lady on her purple hat, I noticed Halloween decorated yards (these tend be huge sights around here since my area is filled with special effects people), I complimented two men on their progress on putting up a haunted house, it looked more like a scary clown house, to which I was invited to come back and check out the final product.  I don’t like to be scared so I told them I’d probably pass but then they invited me to be one of the ones scaring people, I said I’d think about their offer.  I was also complimented on how cute my bike was.

The compliment I received was delightful!  I re-learned that even the simplest connections have a huge impact on ones attitude and behavior and no matter how minute, have a ripple effect.  I’m making time and effort to have more connections.  I have started taking a class, have joined a support group for kids who have become caregivers (something I was completely against before), send random texts to my friends spreading my form of joy and of course I walk barefoot outside! 

There are so many ways to connect: compliment a stranger, call a friend, volunteer, write a letter (and mail it), send an unexpected text or email, smell the flowers while exploring your neighborhood and of course walk barefoot even if it is just in your house (although outside is a completely different experience)!

We love to be inspired & embrace your ideas!  Please share ways that you find connections with the people and world around you!

2 comments:

  1. I have been on a 6 month-ish long break from connecting to the world. This was a result of my sensitive circuits being fried and needing to reboot, a lack of decent internet/cell reception from living rather remotely and a focus on homebuying (Which didn't manifest but with good reason), moving out roommates (Woot!) and attention to other practical day to day matters. I find it rather Syncratic (The dictionary tells me there is no such word but experience has demonstrated otherwise) though not entirely surprising, that my internet issues would resolve and I would begin my own re-connection to the world at the same time as your pursuit of this project. I too notice a season pattern in myself to pursue connection during the fall. Maybe it is that the cool air makes Hugs that much more snuggly and warm! But my drive to connect is also tied to my need to create. I find little inspiration when I am not processing the vast stimulus of the world and the fall has always begged me to pull out the oil paints and pop open the bottles of merlot so to speak. Hmmm.. where is my wine airrator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall is the lull in the calendar. It's the perfect break between the chaos of the summer and the impending holiday season (regardless of beliefs or practices). It's the last-ditch effort to leave the year on a high note without feeling incredibly rushed. It gives us the time to take that deep breath and connect with what we've done, where are, where we are going or want to be going and begin anew or continue where one left off.

    Typically Mercury Retrograde appears sometime during the fall giving us a push (often over a cliff) reflecting on the past: shoulda, woulda, coulda (like clockwork there are certain people I only hear from during this time) giving us another chance to learn the lesson entirely this time or just become a broken record! For some we go by "Birthday Years" and we enter this New Year with a bang, placing our footprint on the world again with reckless abandon!

    Fall in So Cal doesn't have the crispiness it craves, yet it still has its uniqueness. Very often it does reach for the oil paints & wine (how else would one obtain bottles to repurpose) while connecting with friends. And if they happen to be equipped with an aerator & a traveling tea room...fun and frivolities are sure to ensue!

    As long as we are connecting with ourselves and others we are on the right path! Or we'll just make our own! I'm glad you're back CONNECTing!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us by sharing your ideas!