Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Laughing & Learning ~ another perspective

They say that laughter is the best medicine. I don't think it only needs to be used to cure ailments! Whether consciously or unconsciously I take every opportunity I can to laugh; be it at my friends, the situation or myself!  You'd think with all the laughing I do I'd have completely flat abs...but not so much!

In preparation for writing this I was in need of inspiration, Mandy sent me some articles from  her other blog. I read them; then responded "this is why you got learn then laugh & I get laugh then learn."  She then sent me an article that I had written for her blog over a year ago. I read the first sentence and was laughing hysterically. Laughing at what I wrote, laughing at the experience it took me back to and what I'd learned and have carried forward in my life from then onward.  My life seems to be filled with shenanigans that are not always my fault but often orchestrated by me accidentally of course!  And by accident, I've learned something in the midst of my laughter.

With everything that's going on in my life I try my best to see the upside of the situation. I'm the glass is half-full person, always the eternal optimist!

I'm currently taking a pottery class something I haven't done since college. I don't remember throwing clay being this tough previously. I was trying to center clay on the wheel the other day and by the time I finally accomplish this over half of what I started with was in the discard pile. I was covered in slip, it was even in my hair!  What was going to be something large and amazing turned out to be small and so different from my initial vision. I find that working with clay is rather similar to dealing with people. It has to be handled gently, it has a memory and very often you have to go much slower than anticipated (I tend to want to be speed racer; I prefer instant gratification as opposed to waiting patiently). 

I laugh at the process, this has made it easier for me to learn.  Recently, I was thanked by one of my classmates that my laughter has become contagious. I've developed new friendships (I'm now the pseudo daughter for the women in the class) and have learned much more than I would have anticipated. I value the lessons learned.

As long as you're enjoying the process and being in the moment that's the important part! Do you laugh and learn or learn and laugh? We'd love to hear about your process!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Connect with us by sharing your ideas!